Thursday, May 26, 2011

Being someone else doesn't mean life will be any easier: Review: The Time-Traveling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky.


Title: The Time-Traveling Fashionista. 

Author: Bianca Turetsky.

Series: Book # 1

Pages: 272 pages

Release Date: April 5th 2011





Book Depository Price: 

PB) Au/$ - currently not available.
     
HB) Au/$ 17.60  

Source: Publisher. (Thankyou)

Warning (Age Group): 10+

Blurb: What if a beautiful vintage dress could take you back in time?

Louise Lambert has always dreamed of movie starlets and exquisite gowns and longs for the day when she can fill the closet of her normal suburban home with stylish treasures. But when she receives a mysterious invitation to a vintage fashion sale in the mail, her once painfully average life is magically transformed into a time-travel adventure. 

Suddenly onboard a luxurious cruise ship a hundred years ago, Louise relishes the glamorous life of this opulent era and slips into a life of secrets, drama, and decadence. . . .

Dreamy and imaginative, The Time-Traveling Fashionista features thirty full-color fashion illustrations to show gorgeous dresses and styles throughout history.

My Rating: 3.5/5

My Cover Thoughts: Gorgeous, the illustration is beautiful!   

My Thoughts/Review:

I really only have one, okay a couple of words for this novel; now I won’t be telling you what that word is just yet, at least not until I have explained why I feel that this particular word/s sums everything up. First off, while I thought the cover was dazzling and beautiful with a hardback that was even better – seriously you should pick up a copy, remove the cover slip and see the wow factor - the pattern reminds me of diary and I suppose it is in some ways. This in itself sets itself up for the promise of ‘this is going to be good’ and while it isn’t my favourite novel of the year, it certainly has an unforgettable essence. 

The lead character took awhile for me to like because I suppose she didn’t show her true colours until later in this novel. I guess that is the downside to this novel; I didn’t feel immediately captured by it, the words didn’t grab me with a fierce hold that made me want to keep turning the pages. However even so, while I scanned through this novel without really wanting to take my time and take in absolutely everything, it did leave a smile on my face that will definitely have me picking up its sequel.

The reason I was drawn to this novel; what made me want to read it was the plot, time travel – enough said, I can’t say I would personally want to be taken back to a time where I would be aboard a sinking ship but the idea that is the course of this novel was intriguing. I was lucky enough to be supplied a review copy but I would have bought it if I hadn’t and was quite pleased with what I was served up. It isn’t everyday you find yourself with a novel that combines both words of YA content with pictures to match.

The pictures were a perfect element that brought the novel from one level, up to another. They weren’t over done or too in your face that they take over the novel but just enough to help you visualise what the words are trying to capture. But if I get down to the nitty, gritty of my thoughts, it would be that this novel would be more suited to younger readers, mainly because of the age of the heroine, I always find that I can no longer relate to younger heroines since I am currently nineteen. It does bring out the younger insecurities though, where you can relate to how Louise felt in her own skin, uncomfortable, wondering and wishing to be someone else with a more exciting life. Also the feel of the novel feels as though it is directed at younger readers because everything is very, very appropriate for a younger age group while I would have preferred something a bit more mature,  perhaps also something that wasn’t so obvious and clean-cut. I am not sure if you know what I mean but I hope somehow what I just conveyed actually made sense.

All in all, this was a sweet read and I would definitely have a look at the sequel for sure but probably wouldn’t place it on the top of my most anticipated reads. 

The word or words I would use for this novel are; elegant, cute and unique. 

Memorable Quotes:

“Don’t worry, he could sleep through a shipwreck. Oops,” Anna said with a gasp, blushing a deep crimson, embarrassed by her ominous choice of words. Page: 178

Advice: While it is lovely, I would say it is more directed at younger readers. 

Image and Blurb from: Goodreads.

Buy Now or View Item: Book Depository / Amazon

No comments:

Thankyou For Visiting My Blog!
HopE You're Chilling Just finE!

Blog Background from: Photobucket

Banner, buttons and anything else made by me is (C)Jess Wilmshurst

Disclaimer.

My honest opinions in exchange for novels supplied and those of my guest reviewers. My personal writing and photography. If it is not mine I will label it and say so. Honest workings going on here.

Everything posted on She Known As Jess BlogSpot is Copyright © 2010 -2013 by Jess W. All Rights Reserved.

You Give = We Give was created and is copyright to She Known As Jess Blogspot. © 2011 -2013 by Jess W. All Rights Reserved.