Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You're more likely to find what you need when you aren't looking for it: Review: Amy and Rogers Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.

Title: Amy and Rogers Epic Detour

Author: Morgan Matson.


Type: ARC/Finished Copy/Bound Copy

Publisher: Simon and Schuster.

ISBN:




PB) 9780857072689

HB) 9781416990659

Pages: 344

Release Date:

AU) July 7th 2011

US) May 4th 2010

Book Depository Price:

PB) Au/$ 9.69 

HB) Au/$ 16.03 

Source: Publisher. (Thankyou)

Also Bought the Hardcover.

Warning (Age Group): 10+

Blurb: Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road -- diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Rating: 4/5

My Cover Thoughts: Both Hardcover and Paperback are lovely to look at.

Note of caution: Mild Sexual Content. Mentions of Death and Drug Use.

My Thoughts/Review:

Something I find incredibly annoying in books is tiny writing; it seriously messes with my enjoyment of a novel when I have squint to read the text. I don’t need glasses luckily at this time in my life but I certainly wouldn’t have minded having a magnifying-glass on hand to use with this little piece of sunshine. I actually bought the hardback copy of this novel way before I was sent a copy to review; I had crossed my fingers hoping that the text would have been increased in size due to it being paperback and I found that unfortunately it had not. In the end I decided just to squint my way through it because the amount of ace review’s I had read about it gave me the distinct impression that this novel wasn’t one to be missed or cast to the side because of its imperfection.

AU Cover.
Cue reading; okay so the beginning didn’t leave me rolling in utter excitement but it was indeed a worthy beginning. We are introduced to Amy which is short for Amelia -I just thought you should know – who isn’t the same girl she was a few months ago, reason for this young girl acting as though her body is a shell without a home because her soul is currently stamped underneath the floorboards and locked away in a volt with a thrown away key is because she doesn’t seem to be able to deal with the loss of her father. Also it doesn’t help her that her wild child of a brother is sent off to rehab and her mother doesn’t have much to say, that is until her mother decides to move interstate. I wasn’t really sure whether she was trying to escape her own memories or trying to begin again without walking into the ghost of her husband everywhere she goes; either way it was probably best for them to try and move on with their lives. 

This is what leads us into the beginning of the road trip that would be sure to change the lives of those who are involved. Next up: Amy’s car; the car she hasn’t gotten into since the accident that left her alive and her father not – of course this is understandable, possibly not healthy but understandable. Somehow she has to get it to Connecticut where her mother now resides and whether in her favour or not, her mother enlists an old acquaintance to take the road trip with her so all she has to do is sit in the passenger seat but of course nothing is ever simple as that. Meet: Roger. Okay; don’t swoon just yet (even if it is hard) who takes the wheel but has his own reasons for taking part in this adventure.

The character development was incredible; I thought the fact that Morgan Matson portrayed them in such a way that it was hard to even acknowledge that they were characters when in fact they felt like just your everyday people – it was just hard to imagine that they were just fictional characters. It was intriguing seeing how they each changed along the way as they met different people and friends in the different places they visited, how each of them brought them out of the shells they had found themselves in. It was surprising that with such heavy topics that this novel didn’t make you feel submerged in sadness but rather it fills you with hope, adventure, love and the will to discover something you didn’t realise was possible.

Roger and Amy both had some tough situations leaning heavily on their chests and throughout this novel you can see them begin to unwind and slowly lift the load one piece at a time. I don’t really know how to explain it properly but by the last page you will feel at peace because throughout the detour, along with Roger and Amy you will find yourself after each chapter letting go of a piece of heartache that is/was weighing them down.

Subject: Roger (sigh, can I please keep him?) I adored his character; I loved how he was there for Amy without being overbearing or pushy and that in return without realising it, Amy gave Roger a way to release some of his own bottled up emotion. There isn’t much I want to say about him, for it might spoil it for any of you but that boy, man, I want one of my own.

This novel wasn’t one to just acknowledge the horrible circumstances that have been bestowed on these characters; it is about releasing the negative energy that these situations have caused and allowing themselves to be embraced by the hope and journey that comes afterward. I can only describe this book as being one of healing. The pictures; quotes, receipts, playlists, drawings, maps and everything else that was included in the pages was absolutely fantastic; having those additions upped this novel from just good to incredible. It felt as though I wasn’t the reader; rather that I was there with them going through the emotions and experiencing the detour that changed their lives.

Memorable Quotes:

“The best discoveries always happen to the people who weren’t looking for them” Page: 337

Advice: Give it a go!

Image and Blurb from: Goodreads.

Buy Now or View Item: Book Depository / Amazon



2 comments:

Jessica (BookLover) said...

Great review! I've been meaning to pick this book up and now I've decided to go for it. :)

She Known As Jess. said...

If you review it, leave your link here in the comments and i'll check it out :) :)

Thankyou For Visiting My Blog!
HopE You're Chilling Just finE!

Blog Background from: Photobucket

Banner, buttons and anything else made by me is (C)Jess Wilmshurst

Disclaimer.

My honest opinions in exchange for novels supplied and those of my guest reviewers. My personal writing and photography. If it is not mine I will label it and say so. Honest workings going on here.

Everything posted on She Known As Jess BlogSpot is Copyright © 2010 -2013 by Jess W. All Rights Reserved.

You Give = We Give was created and is copyright to She Known As Jess Blogspot. © 2011 -2013 by Jess W. All Rights Reserved.